Monday, January 10, 2011

Reminiscing and Resolving 2011


This post is mainly for me to document this past year. 

Last year, I posted "Reminiscing and Resolving 2010," so I thought I would do a follow-up and write my new resolutions for 2011 as well.

So here goes.  The following were my resolutions for 2010 . . . and the results!
  • be more content  Actually, this has been my main New Year's Resolution for the past two years.  I want to be more content with what God has already blessed me with and not continuously want more "stuff."  I've had ups and downs with this one, but I think as I am getting older, I am getting better about it.  I still have a long way to go though. . .
  • implement the methods of Natural Evangelism (a DVD series our life group watched)  I thought quite a lot about natural evangelism in 2010, and it made a huge difference in my everyday life as a Christian.  I cannot say enough about the series and how powerful the idea of natural evangelism has been in my life.  If you are a church leader, I would highly suggest a study of Terry Rush's "Natural Evangelism" DVD series. 
  • become a more polished teacher  I would like to think I've improved as a teacher (although that's something that can be hard to judge yourself).  I am certainly as comfortable in the classroom as I have ever been, and I continue to love teaching more and more everyday.  So I'll take that as a good sign!
  • refinish more furniture  Did it.  Loved it.  Wish I had time to do more!
  • deprive my house of all things generic  I got rid of a lot of "stuff" in 2010 . . . partly in conjunction with my first resolution to be more content.  There's still a ways to go though.
  • finally figure out what to do with the giant white wall  Did it!!!!!  (Thanks to my green door and gossip bench!)
  • do more to connect and grow our life group  Well, we lost a handful of members who moved away this year.  Yet I would definitely say we are closer than ever.  I always look forward to spending time with our life group.  They are one of the biggest blessings in my life. 
  • play more Bach  Did it, but it wasn't pretty.
  • practice my scales... (I foresee this one won't make the "What I Accomplished in 2010" list.)  Actually, I did this too, but again . . . not pretty at all.
  • sing more opera and get my voice back in shape  I sang about the same amount as in 2009, yet I am beginning to accept the fact that my voice will probably never be as strong as it was in college. 
  • run farther  COMPLETE. AND. TOTAL. EPIC. FAILURE.
  • read The Complete Artist's Way by Julia Cameraon  I did read this book and it was wonderful!

 2011 RESOLUTIONS
  • I want to continuously seek to see the "big picture" in all things.  This is something I have been practicing for the past six months or so, and it has had a profound impact on my life.  Every time something goes wrong, no matter how big or small, I try to ask myself, "How does this fit into the big picture of life?" or "Am I going to look back and care about this when I am eighty?"  Sometimes, however, I completely forget and stress out about something trivial, but I have found that surrounding myself with people who are good at seeing the "big picture" makes it a lot easier.  So this is going to be my main goal in 2011.  I resolve to see the "big picture!"
  • Be a better listener (inspired by my in-laws' involvement with the Listening Lab)
  • Blog only when I want to.  It's ok if I don't document everything.
  • For real this time, I want to run more.  
  • Continue to get rid of stuff in our house that we don't need.  How is it that we have only been married for three years, have no kids, and yet still have all this stuff?!

1 comment:

  1. I think there should be a comma between TOTAL and EPIC, but I'm not sure. Also, let me know what you want to get rid of and it will vanish. Just name the thing...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails